Holmes Dyer acted on behalf of a private sector client to present a comprehensive unsolicited proposal to purchase community land to accommodate the reinvigoration of a residential and retail precinct. The proposal demonstrated potential to improve the function and relationship between land uses within the precinct, and followed a robust process to manage stakeholder concerns and expectations that included:
- Community and shopping centre user engagement to identify need and opportunities for the shopping centre revitalisation;
- Concept development and presentation/consultation with Council Administration for review and refinement of concepts;
- Shopping centre trader discussions to identify current experience and opportunities for improvement;
- Presentations to and negotiations with Council; and
- Site based community engagement on the unsolicited proposal.
The final proposal presented a unique opportunity to add value to the broader precinct and achieve a range of shared outcomes and received broad support from the community.